Be Well Personal Training

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Lakshmi, PRI re-positioning, and the brilliance of DNS positions



I was at a yoga workshop last weekend where the teacher discussed some of the Hindu goddesses.  One of the goddesses, Lakshmi, is the goddess of wealth, both internal and external.  As the teacher explained Lakshmi's influence over fortune, she said that part of Lakshmi's power is that she tends to the details.  Tending to the details allows wealth to grow and will result in good fortune, not necessarily in the form of money, but in an internal sense.  It was one of those stories that stayed with me for the week and made me wish I had more patience for the Indian texts (I failed miserably at my one and only attempt at reading the Bhagahavad Gita.  I lasted half a page).

Fast forward 5 days.  I was training a lovely endurance athlete yesterday who has gone from pretty much bullet proof to having some things crop up.  This, unfortunately, happens to endurance athletes, and if they don't get a handle on the root of the problem, they end up spending the next 10 years of their careers "chasing pain" so they can participate in their respective sport.  I have worked with her off and on for a long time (4 years), and I decided yesterday to run her through some of the PRI tests to see what was going on and to give her a more directed, therapeutic program for the off season.  There was only one glaring issue (left AIC), so off to work we went.  After 10 minutes of re-positioning work, I re-tested her, tending to my details, found she was in a much better position, and we moved on with our session.  While we worked on the normal strength training stuff for her upper body, I used several DNS positions for her lower body to try and improve some of her firing patterns.  Her main issue seems to stem from an old ankle injury and her right glute max is taking a pretty intense vacation.  I started her in DNS side lying, couldn't really get any activity there, moved to 3 month supine mode, where I had much better success, and then skipped forward to tripod sit, which is far more developmentally advanced.  She is a crazy endurance athlete after all; I figured I should be able to get some activity going and add some challenge.

While I was moving her through the DNS positions, it occurred to me how brilliant the system really is.  The goal of PRI is reciprocal, alternating movement; DNS addresses movement dysfunction via developmental positions.  The goal of the baby ultimately is walking which is reciprocal, alternating movement.  The higher developmental positions do a wonderful job with pelvic orientation and  addressing strength and mobility needs specific to various stages in the gait cycle.  In many ways, it makes the job of the movement professional easier- make people walk well.  Only then are they going to be able to perform well athletically.  Tend to your details.

At the end of the session, I put her back on the table to re-test her position.  I do this with people when I begin working on improving position.  I want to make sure I am on the right track.  Her left leg didn't drop.  At all.  I had undone her position.  This has never happened to me before- my sessions always address the needs of the individual and I pay attention when there are significant imbalances.  But I had skipped steps.  When she couldn't activate in side lying, I moved her backwards, only to jump forward again.  The neurology wasn't ready for that.  I didn't tend to my details and instead of taking the proper steps, I tried to skip ahead.  I promptly re-positioned her using PRI techniques, re-tested, and she was back to the position I had attained at the beginning of the session.  The take away message: don't rush the process.  Systems exist for a reason and you cannot cheat the system when it is based on neurology.  And don't forget to tend to your details.

Yours in health and wellness,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment