Be Well Personal Training

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Happy New Year!



Happy New Year!  2011 has flown by, and I am looking forward to what 2012 will bring.  This time of year often results in New Year’s resolutions.  While I have discussed SMART goal setting before, I thought it might be a good time to re-visit what that means.  SMART goals are:
  • Specific
  • Measurable
  • Attainable
  • Realistic
  • Timely
The problem with SMART goals is the key to success means starting small.  For instance, setting a goal of running a ½ marathon in 6 weeks sounds far more grand than dedicating yourself to running 4 miles, 3 days a week.  To prevent injury, reduce risk of burnout, and improve chance of success, it is necessary to set goals that can be attained so they eventually become a habit.  That’s not to say that you can’t accomplish the ½ marathon; you just might need to set some smaller goals first.
While I am not out setting marathon records or participating in centuries, I am a consistent athlete.  I run 3-4 days a week and ride my bike 3-4 days a week.  None of my mileage is terribly substantial, and this is the first year in recent memory that I didn’t participate in a triathlon or ½ marathon.  However, I still managed to ride 2,470 miles, run 795 miles, and burn over 23,000 calories (at least according to www.runkeeper.com).  Not bad for someone who wasn’t doing any serious training.  That doesn’t include countless walks, weekly swims, yoga, and strength training.  The point, of course, is that little bits of activity add up and make a huge impact in a person’s health and wellbeing.
I hope to see everyone on the trails in 2012!
Yours in health and wellness,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment